Sunday 15 July 2012

How to Make Brussel Sprouts taste good...No Really!

Hi There!
Things are their usual pace around here...hectic! I am busy getting ready for the Wellington Underground market- Retro Recycled and Restored next weekend!!  Make sure if you are in Wellington next Saturday you pop down to check out all the goodies that will be on sale! http://www.undergroundmarket.co.nz/undergroundmarket/Welcome.html

I have been sewing so much I have pulled a muscle in my shoulder :( so I have been taking it easy the last couple of days and making little rattles in the shape of Giraffes, Bunny's and today will make some dinosaurs! I have been taking anti-inflammatory's and doing Yoga and it seems to be healing up well, so hopefully will be ready to attack some quilts later this week!

We have been trying to eat more veges lately, and have been trying something new every week! I have been wanting to tackle Brussel Sprouts for a few weeks, but memory's of over boiled gross tasting things kept coming back to me! I saw on the Garden Pantry's facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/thegardenpantry ) one day about grilled cheesy brussel sprouts, and thought why don't I combine that with my other favorite dish roasted veges! And here is what I came up with..

4 Potatoes
1 Large Kumera
2 Carrots
1/2 Bag of Brussel Sprouts

Olive oil
1/4 t Cumin
1/4 t Cayenne Pepper (can leave this out if you don't like spice!)
1 t Paprika
1/2 t Garlic & Herb Salt
Pepper
1/4 t Brown Sugar

Peel & Dice the potato and Kumera, and coat with the Olive oil, Spices, Sugar etc. Cover with Foil.
Place in a hot oven 180degrees C for about 25 min.
Remove from the oven and mix around. Cut the Brussel Sprouts in half and place in the oven dish cut side down (along with the potatoes/kumera).
After 10 min add the cut carrots (I just cut into chunky sticks), and can put any other veges in that will cook quickly- Courgettes, Mushrooms etc. I put an extra drizzle of oil on before putting them back into the oven uncovered (no foil) for approx 20 min.
Check if cooked, if you are happy with how cooked they are sprinkle over the entire dish with parmesan cheese (Or whatever cheese you like!) and put back into the oven for 5-10 until melted and golden.


Any way I best head off and do some light sewing! Hope to see you at the show!!
Have a great week and try to keep warm, and let me know if you try the Brussel sprouts!!
Janell


No comments:

Post a Comment